Windows Update version 3 in Windows 98

Image via Wikipedia

Update:Microsoft’s Visual C++ team has released workarounds on the problem. AVG has released an utility that can revert the KB2467175 update, downloadable at http://twitter.blog.avg.com/2011/04/avg-feedback-update-26411.html

Avira is reporting that its AntiVir software throws “The procedure entry point FindActCtxSectionStringW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.” error after installing the update released earlier this week.

This is caused by the introduction of FindActCtxSectionStringW in the MFC update which is distributed to affected computers where the Visual C++ Redistributable is installed by affected programs. I guess Microsoft did not test the update on Windows 2000 since Windows 2000’s support has expired, and indeed removed Windows 2000 from the supported platform list of the redistributables on the Microsoft download center page, but nonetheless those who develop software using Visual  C++ 2005 and Visual  C++ 2008, two currently supported products, would still not able to support Windows 2000 users after this update (KB2467174  and KB2467175).

Microsoft already withdrawn the update to fix this issue. On April 21, 2001, Microsoft rereleased the update, and made only a detection change, means the update won’t be offered to Windows 2000 again.

Suggestion to end users and software developers who already installed the update on Windows 2000: Uninstall the April 12, 2011 updates, remove leftovers mentioned in the KB articles identified by the updates and install the ATL security update versions (search in download.microsoft.com to get those updates) for now.

Suggestion to software developers: Call SetSearchPathMode to turn on the safe dll searching mode at the beginning of the app, and join the discussion Always ask the developer before applying a security fix or service pack to Visual Studio that need changed the C++ runtime DLLs ATL/MFC/CRT.

Affected software:

Other known issues in this update can be found in a follow up post at the Visual C++ blog.
Alternative error message:
プロシージャエントリポイントFindActCtxSectionStringWがダイナミックリンクライブラリKERNEL32.dllから見つかりません
无法定位程序输入点FindActCtxSectionStringW于动态链接库KERNEL32.dll上

About Sheng Jiang 蒋晟

Microsoft MVP in Visual C , 2004- Forum moderator of the Visual C and .Net forums on CSDN Forum moderator of Chinese forums on Microsoft's MSDN forums
This entry was posted in enmsdn, MFC, Microsoft, Visual C++, Visual Studio and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Bug in Security Update for Visual C++ Redistributable Package: April 12, 2011 causes program error on Windows 2000

1. HillCoRob says:

Thank you for what you do. Yours was the most complete explanation I found on the web about what has been happening.

We have AVG 9 Anti-Virus BUSINESS Edition.
    On some of our Windows 2000 systems the AVG tray icon disappeared and the FindActCtxSectionStringW error would appear upon restart of the computer and when trying to open AVG.

I REMOVED KB2467175, restarted the system, installed the VCREDIST_X86.EXE file and AVG was back in the systray; I can open the USER INTERFACE, however, there are NO ACTIVE COMPONENTS showing in the OVERVIEW dialogue box.

Before I uninstall then reinstall AVG, I wanted to contact you to let you know what has transpired so far, and ask if you have any other suggestions.

Thank you for your insights.

Robert Qualls
    PC Technician/HelpDesk
    Hill Country MHDD
    Kerrville, Texas
    830.792.3300
    rqualls@hillcountry.org

• jiangshengvc says:

if you are not a software programmer and not interested of become one I suggest you to remove the VC update and affected software, clean up files and registry related to affected software using removale tools if possible, and reinstall. If this fails contact the producer of the affected software.

If you are or are interested to become one, i suggest you to debug the AVG program in windbg, auto-attach any spawned process and look for dll load failtures.

• Desmond Bell says:

Many thanks for all the information. We are running AVG Ver 9 on Windows 2000. We uninstalled the KB2467175 update, but still got the “entry point findactctxsectionstringw could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll” error message when starting AVG TRAY or INTERFACE. Robert Qualls wrote he installed the VCREDIST_X86.EXE. We wish to know which version of VCREDIST_X86.EXE you used. On MS update we found version 8.0.50727.762 of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package released 11/14/2007.

Also we wish to know what would be the effect of installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package version of VCREDIST_X86.EXE (version 9.0.30729.1 released 7/31/2008. Would this replace Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, or would it compound the problem.

I would greatly appreciate your suggests and thank you in advance.

Desmond Bell

• jiangshengvc says:

Check if you still have other VC updates in the same security bulletin. Make sure you don’t have the following updates: KB2465373, KB2467174 and KB2467175.

VC redistributables from different versions are designed to work side-by-side, so installing VC 2008 redistributable won’t have any effect on the VC 2005 redistributable. If you have both updated to the MS11-025 version I suggest you to uninstall both and install the MS09-035 versions released in 2009.

2. HillCoRob says:

Update:

The version of VCREDIST_X86.EXE I installed is 6.0.2900.2180.
    Desmond Bell has found newer ones which I did not.

After uninstalling AVG 9 Business Edition, then cleaning up the registry with CCLEANER, then restarting the computer, I attempted to reinstall AVG 9 Bus Ed. The installation failed three times.

Any hopes for a Microsoft resolution an time soon?

Robert Qualls
    rqualls@hillcountry.org

• jiangshengvc says:

No, Microsoft changed the detection method so the update won’t be offered to Windows 2000 users again.
      You can delete the files affected by the update, if the uninstall can not clear them up, then install the ATL security update edition.

3. Daniel Wyse says:

I have the same problem. Unfortunately, I don’t even understand most of what is in these posts. Here is my situation:

I am running Windows 2000 on one of my computers.
    KB2467175 was automatically installed.
    AVG Free 9.0 fails with the message “The procedure entry point FindActCtxSectionStringW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.”
    I uninstalled KB2467175 and re-booted but the problem still occurs.
    I have read that the problem extends to Firefox but I am not having a problem with Firefox, just AVG.

I have seen a number of articles on this subject but most of them are gobbledegook to me. I can’t find any step-by-step instructions on how to fix it. How do I put my system back the way it was? Any help is appreciated.

4. Daniel Wyse says:

I apologise if this is a duplicate. I tried sending this before but it seems to have gone into the ether.

I have the same problem described above but I can’t understand most of what is being said. Here is my situation:

I run Windows 2000 on one of my computers.
    KB2467175 was installed automatically.
    AVG Free 9.0 fails with the message, “The procedure entry point FindActCtxSectionStringW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.”
    I uninstalled KB2467175 and re-booted but the problem still occurs.
    I have seen that Firefox is also supposed to be affected by this problem; however, I don’t have the problem with Firefox, just AVG.

I have seen several articles on this problem but I can’t make sense out of them. I am trying to find some step-by-step instructions on how to fix it but can’t. How do I put my system back the way it was before this update messed it up?

I would appreciate any help.

5. Daniel Wyse says:

Thank you. I had not seen that article in my travels. The instructions were just what I had been looking for – easy to follow and worked with no major hitches (just a couple of DLLs that Windows would let me copy but it didn’t matter).

Thank you very much for your help.