Farewell, dsoframer

I know, it is long overdue. Microsoft discontinued it a decade ago. And Office is not meant to be embedded. I even advised people to not use it in new development almost a decade ago. Then why I keep using it for so long?

Because customers don’t want changes. I work in the medical field, where some of the clients still use telnet to interface with their medical software that are probably older than I am. Once you get people hooked to a UI it is hard to change that. The fact that Microsoft discontinues dsoframer means nothing to them – once I use it, I own it. It is like Microsoft having to release an Office update for the old equation editor made by MathType 16 years ago. So I have been doing patchwork as much as I can to keep dsoframer alive.

It might be a blessing in disguise that Office 2016 finally broke dsoframer on Windows 10 in a way that I can’t fix. The control just keep calculates the scrolling sizes wrong. I have to work on a solution for customers who can accept a side-by-side UI instead of embedding Office. Shortly after I published the update Microsoft dropped the bomb that the MSI edition of Office is being discontinued, I have to say that I am lucky to have some doctors finally start accepting the side by side UI. Maybe the rest will also get use to it now there’s no alternative.

Some issues I encountered over the years

The click-to-run edition of Office dropped the registry entries required by dsoframer to function .

.Net Programmability support is not a default install option of Office

Adobe Acrobat Reader shipped with dsoframer too, and uninstall either the reader or my app breaks the remaining one. Note to self: GuidGen on samples.

Does not open document if Office is running

Various drawing issues.

I supported embedding Word longer than the Outlook team, I am really not proud of that.

About Sheng Jiang 蒋晟

Microsoft MVP in Visual C , 2004- Forum moderator of the Visual C++ and .Net forums on CSDN Forum moderator of Chinese forums on Microsoft's MSDN forums
This entry was posted in Microsoft and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Farewell, dsoframer

  1. WMelonMan says:

    Thx for posting, I had DsoFramer (coming with some other VB app) registering broken on some but not all PCs and from reading your experience I could find it was only those clients where I had installed Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 recently. BTW: the new Acrobat Reader DC did not cause any problems here.

  2. Jen says:

    I just tested it. dsoframer.ocx is working properly with Office 2016 without a problem. I use VB.NET and C#.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.